Track 14: Green IS and Sustainability
Sustainability issues present urgent, complex global challenges that require individuals, businesses and governments to make pro-sustainability decisions, and to undertake concrete actions to realise a more sustainable society. These issues include climate change, ecological resource scarcity, ‘climate refugees’, poverty and homelessness to list just a few. Effective business and policy decision-making about, as well as reporting on, these corporate social responsibility (CSR) actions requires the integration and use of data and information, including geospatial, scientific, government, quantitative and qualitative forms.
The Information Systems (IS) discipline can play a central role in addressing these challenges because of its experience in designing, building, deploying, evaluating, managing, studying and using IS. IS can contribute to sustainability by automating and transforming products, processes, behaviours, and relationships to support sustainability initiatives, and thus transform society in a similar way to how we have transformed modern business. IS can also help collect, store, manage and process the increasing velocity, variety and volume of data needed to tackle complex sustainability issues, including gaining novel insights into these issues through analytical techniques. The Green IS and Sustainability track will explore how IS can contribute to addressing these sustainability issues. Being an emergent research stream, we welcome both traditional and unconventional contributions to Green IS and Sustainability phenomena.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Theory building about Green IS and Sustainability;
- Conceptualization of Green IS and Sustainability phenomena;
- Rich empirical studies of Green IS and Sustainability phenomena, based on appropriate research methods;
- Studies of the negative impact of IS on sustainability phenomena;
- Green IS and Social IS design theories and instantiations;
- Philosophical, methodological commentaries and other essays on Green IS and Sustainability research.
- Managing Green IT/IS and Social IS software
- Governance and strategy in Green IS and Sustainability
- Business Process Management to support sustainability initiatives and Green/Social IS development
- Decision support for logistics and supply chain processes relating to Green IS and Sustainability initiatives
- IS-enabled multidisciplinary collaborations for sustainability
- IS-enabled smart cities and sustainable communities
- IS-enabled support for charities (e.g. securing donations, managing reporting requirements, etc)
- Designing and implementing systems for the Smart Grid
- End user acceptance and adoption of smart grid technologies
- Designing and implementing systems that measure and validate the impact of sustainable business practices and policies
- IS to support organisations’ CSR (e.g. carbon, charity, community, etc) management, accounting and reporting
- Sustainable development in transitional and developing countries